In Chun Eng's words...

Monday, March 20, 2006

1st Year: Part 2

Looking back into what I've done or achieved career-wise, I would say, it's invaluable. From my first job, I did DataWarehousing and Business Intelligence application. 2 of this goes hand-in-hand and I'd say, applications like this does have it's value in the market. Companies using such softwares can be assured to be big. I must admit, 7 months of experience in this area is like comparing the age of After Christ with the age of earth. Then again, my knowledge can be useful in future projects should I encounter another BI applications. But you may ask me, why leave then? Why not stay longer to learn more?

Firstly, the language used to develop the application is rare. Mention the name, and everyone will say, "What's that? Never heard of it". So will this make me more valuable? You tell me. Furthermore, I just can't see myself progressing in that company regardless of how much potential the company may be. Then again, OODBMS, which we were using, is really something new in the whole IT industry and the future is yet to be seen. (Note, I mentioned that the application has got great potential, just that I can't see nor predict the worth of the language used and OODBMS.)

In my next and current company, I'm beginning to learn how larger organisations carry out their work and task. Development wise, I still lack experience and indepth knowledge of the language and tools used. There's a bit more red tape but has more standard in their work. They even implemented programmes that will help protect our codes from overwritten by your colleagues (something which happens many many times in my previous company), and also programmes that will help you keep track of your work and pending issues to be solved.

Smaller companies, on the other hand, doesn't seem to care about workflows and processes. They just want to get things done. However, while you will learn more better working processes in larger companies, you tend to learn more in smaller companies in the earlier stage of your career because you'll be involved in almost every task there is. So larger companies doesn't necessarily mean better working life.

As some of you may already have known, I've been looking to do things that will bring me additional incomes. I've thought of looking for some part time jobs during the weekends eversince I've started working. It was not successful because there hasn't been effort in looking for the job.

Programmers like me don't work on weekends, especially in my previous company. There isn't any projects to rush because we develop our own product, unlike my current company where I've been going to the office even on Sundays lately to rush on projects. So it is understandable that I've got the time to work on weekends then. Now, my office has become my first home and my home is only where I sleep. This seems suffering to many, but it is great when you're enjoying your work. While it is important to enjoy what we do, it is also equally important to make a life, not a just living.

15 Comments:

  • it is nice abt enjoying work rather than suffering work.....

    By Blogger YSLim, at 21 March, 2006 08:47  

  • hey..not bad eng..seems like u are begining to enjoy ur work.
    that way its easier to face ur work everyday..
    hopefully i feel the same when i get into my new place..;)

    By Blogger ashes, at 21 March, 2006 15:12  

  • speaking of which... heard that you've got a new job? what company is that? and where?

    By Blogger Eng, at 21 March, 2006 19:35  

  • oh.. and Ash,
    I've always been enjoying what I do

    By Blogger Eng, at 21 March, 2006 19:36  

  • remember the company i told u in cyberjaya eng?
    FSBM...i got it after all the wait.
    heh..supposed to start work on the 3rd of April.

    By Blogger ashes, at 21 March, 2006 22:59  

  • hehe..good luck on ur 2nd year all DA BEST!!!!

    By Blogger J@cob & Anne, at 22 March, 2006 10:45  

  • So they finally offered you the job after so much delay. Wonder will this be a good thing. They've offered you once, then changed their mind, and now offer you again. Somehow, I need to be careful of the management.

    Anyway, all the best to you Ash.

    By Blogger Eng, at 22 March, 2006 18:13  

  • hahh..well they didnt really change their mind. its just tat i had to wait for a very long time just to get the letter.
    apparently their big boss had some big prob and was away from to office to approve all the new candidates..so tat resulted in all the waiting.
    but time to time the PM would personally call me n ask me to be patient..she said he'll be back soon.

    and tis was how soon

    hehe..anyway thanks mate.

    By Blogger ashes, at 22 March, 2006 18:29  

  • hahaha.....ashes still dare to take the risk...for me....i might not taking it.

    last few days ago, i received a phone call, and we whether i am still looking for job or not..

    i m like er........WAT? i start to applied it last year....and stop all the submition after i got my current job.....some more can call me a year later........it is like.........

    By Blogger YSLim, at 22 March, 2006 22:08  

  • ys - :P heh God arranged something better for u, or mayb he is testing u.

    "hahaha.....ashes still dare to take the risk...for me....i might not taking it."

    wah... risk that will not put ur life at stake or make u lose few thousand or few hundread thousand of money is a risk worth taking. We all r human, we take risk everyday. The world is changing everyday, everyone hav to risk to adapt to the enviorement every moment.

    By Blogger Philip, at 23 March, 2006 10:17  

  • Well Ash, lets hope the wait is worth every moment. If that company did not turn out well, there's always another job waiting. Philip can even get you into his company.

    YS, if there's a opportunity coming along, why not just have a look at it. Times like this dun come often.

    Philip: "wah... risk that will not put ur life at stake or make u lose few thousand or few hundread thousand of money is a risk worth taking" - that is no longer a risk anymore IMHO.

    By Blogger Eng, at 23 March, 2006 16:00  

  • hahha..well thanks guys.

    i mean..this company is kinda flexible..during my probation(6 months), if i wish to leave, i just need to give them 24 hours notice.

    so if at all im unhappy..at least i dun hav to wait soo long to get out.
    but then again..lets just hope i wont hav to do it la..i oso malas adi..wanna jump here n there.

    By Blogger ashes, at 23 March, 2006 22:45  

  • that's nice... I need to give 1 month notice if during probation or 2 months after confirmation...

    but it's nice working here if you can blend with the rest.

    By Blogger Eng, at 26 March, 2006 11:04  

  • The overwritten code thingy is call "Source Control". It helps to keep track the source code changes and also.

    but the down side is it slow down the developers process. Everytime u need to update stuff(even a single line of code) u still have to use the system.

    By Blogger BillyTong, at 26 March, 2006 17:35  

  • here we use SourceSafe

    By Blogger Eng, at 27 March, 2006 08:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home