In Chun Eng's words...

Sunday, February 26, 2006

My worst day

Yesterday, Feb. 24th has to be marked as one of my worst and careless day in my soon-to-be one year career. You may now be wondering what is this 'fuss' all about.

Well, yesterday I was supposed to be doing some patching and to do some backup at a client site at Putrajaya. I kept it in my thumb drive the previous day. The drive was in my bag. That morning, I was kept busy doing some paper work like log forms etc for the client. One of my colleague drove me there because he has to learn the system and the place as well. Guess what...while I remembered all the documents, other equipments and checklist, I forgot the very most important thing for the day... my thumb drive.

I did not take my bag so it was left in the office. We were already on our way to Putrajaya. We were near Cheras at that time when I suddenly remembered about the thumb drive. We decided to head back to office to grab it because we thought the file would be too large to send to our private email. On our way back, my colleague suddenly remembered that our department has a live IP that we could use. So we had to call back and ask them to upload the patch to the live server so us to download from our client site. So we went back on our journey to Putrajaya.

Here's where another incident happened. He took a wrong turning and we ended up nearby our office. So we decided to again head back to office to get the stuff. I called someone to pass me my drive at the lobby. As we were about to leave, I thought it might be safer to bring along my USB cable since my drive is the old fat type. So I went back up to the office to get it. Thinking that it's in my bag, I just grab my bag and left in a hurry. I was already down at the lobby until I realised that the cable was not in my bag but was plugged into my PC instead. Again I had to go up again to grab it. Everyone was surprised to see me in the office again. Man... talk about being careless. I don't know how and what to describe myself... embarrased? Naively careless? or just plain incapable?

All this made us arrived at Putrajaya late. It was already 10 past 11am. We first backup the database then proceed to putting up the patches. I almost made another blunder when I forgot to change something despite having a checklist with me. I have already logout and left the server room. Luckily I suddenly remembered otherwise, we may have to make another trip to the place. Well, I still have to make many more trips there because of their changes or patches. This is what happens when we don't have remote access into the server.

We reached back at office at around 3pm, having left at 9.30am. We reached office late mainly because of the jam and also because we had lunch at some unknown restaurant at Seri Kembangan. Luckily the rest of the day is alright. Sigh... definately my worst day so far in my whole career life.

8 Comments:

  • Sounds like a whole day of trouble. Poor you...

    By Blogger Jonquina, at 28 February, 2006 11:58  

  • it could only get worst...
    the database I copied seems to have missing data

    By Blogger Eng, at 28 February, 2006 13:42  

  • ...the ultimate horror

    By Blogger Jonquina, at 02 March, 2006 11:46  

  • eleh eng...baru sikit saje..

    luckily u din join me..ahhaha

    once i made a blunder(well not exactly mine..but since i was there..i got the blame) while updating and guess wat?
    around 60 staffs locally..another 50 around malaysia (Penang,JB,Ipoh)..couldnt do their work for almost 1 whole day!which is like 9 hours!

    and to my horror...the staffs started celebrating by watching downloaded sexy gals music videos on one of their colleague's pc..arghh

    their boss face was in the verge of bursting into pieces..
    i quickly locked the server room door..just for extra precaution..in case the explosion occured behind me..hahaha

    scary i tell u!

    By Blogger ashes, at 02 March, 2006 18:23  

  • yea well...
    these thing happens.

    By Blogger Eng, at 03 March, 2006 13:13  

  • ...omg ash...hebatlah u!

    By Blogger Jonquina, at 05 March, 2006 10:44  

  • Oh my... thats actually funny in a way, both u n ash. Well actually I have almost done the same thing before, by almost releasing a program with a bug that could stop dunno how many ppl from proceeding with ther work. haha

    By Blogger Jyrenze, at 07 March, 2006 11:15  

  • hehehe...

    NO MORE WORK FOR ME!!!

    neway..tough luck..good thing nothing serious happened eh

    By Blogger J@cob & Anne, at 09 March, 2006 00:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home