In Chun Eng's words...

Friday, October 28, 2005

Some difference

Not too sure should this week be considered eventful or otherwise. For the past 2 weeks I knew of the posibility of joining a new company after they enquired whether is it posible to deduct the balance of my AL off the 1 month notice to leave, which of course I wasn't been able to.

Then, earlier this week, I got a call from the company's personnel department asking me to collect my offer letter. My reaction was... what??!!! There was never any negotiation of the pay as well as terms and conditions, just the interview. And they're asking me to collect the letter. I became very scepticaland doubtful. Nevertheless, I went to their HQ to collect my letter.

The moment I got the letter, I opened it. Hhhmm... the offers seems ok. Some better, some not. The salary offer is almost 30% higher than my current one, which is of course a good thing. But probation period - 6 months and notice period after confirmation - 2 months. Somemore the first year no AL (it's quite common these days it seems). That 2 months made me kinda sceptical and yet, seems reasonable this the modern life. It's the current trend and gone were the days where people can leave after 1 month. Some even require 3 months notice period.

So I handed in my resignation the next morning. At that time, I was eagerly waiting for my boss to come in, if he ever does. I will never know whether will he be in the office or at customer's office. No one would actually look forward to seeing your boss I'm sure but that morning was the only time I was hoping to see him ASAP. Not that I dislike him or anything but a boss is still a boss and the moment they see you, they would usually ask you on your progress, rush you on your work or to assign you even more work. After months and years of working, kinda gotten immune to it already though.

Later that afternoon, I was called for a meeting with my boss' wife. She's the one handling all the administrative affairs. Apart of wanting to know the reason of me leaving, she also tried to counter-offer me which I did not accept. So now it's official, I've resigned from my company and will be joining my new company on the 28th November if everything turns out well. Let's hope the new company will also bring me pleasent experience and memories as well.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home