In Chun Eng's words...

Saturday, June 02, 2007

My new company

So yesterday was my first day in my new company. My first day, and I've already joined my team to be stationed in Cyberjaya for the month.... then back to PJ office next month and back again to Cyberjaya a month later. The rotation goes on.

Since it's a local company headed by Japanese, it'll only natural that work is work, play is play. So that means, no listening to music, no chatting and no surfing at work. Internet usage is allowed but it's monitored. So, no one uses the Internet unless it's work related. Japanese likes quiet and neat environment. So that also means, decorating your cubicle is limited. Well, not that I bothered, but the girls in my previous company actually decorated their cubicles with dolls, postcards, photos etc.

Late comers will be punished in some way and it'll be listed on the notice board (I've seen the list), not doing your duty according to the support duty roaster will also face the music (will elaborate more in the future). Late submission of claims will not be entertained and anything you do or request requires multiple level of approval, from your supervisor all the way up to the senior management or the MD if necessary. And these are all documented. Unlike the Chinamen companies I've worked in, everything here has got it's policies and procedures to follow. In a way, it keep things organised but definately not as flexible as my past companies.

But on the other hand, the Sports Club have activities every month, coupled with weekly activites. So far, I only know they have badminton and jogging sessions every week. First session of the bowling tournament was just over, and the 2nd session is coming for those who was not around or has not participated in the first session. And I heard there's a few jokers (aka fai chai) in the company as well... just that they're now overseas for projects.

And every week, the admin will list who ever's turn to speak in the sharing session. Topics can be of anything. Food, technologies, leisure, sports etc. Sort of a public speaking kind of thing and every one will gather around to listen to you. This is a huge change of culture and environment though. Totally different from past companies.

OK...enough about the company. Will talk about my job some other time ;0)

Oh and btw, to my college classmates, Geok Bin is now my colleague and she's been working there for a year already, but in a different team.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Oh, I didnt realise that you joined Geok Bin's company. I knew it was a big one and needs you to submit those work reports and all that but didnt expect it to be the same one you mentioned. The world is truely small. All the best in your new job.

    By Blogger Jyrenze, at 03 June, 2007 00:56  

  • reports? what reports? anyway, my current company is smaller than my previous one... but customers are worldwide... and non are locals

    and yea.. IT world is truely small. one of my ex-colleague's sister is now my supervisor... hahaha....

    By Blogger Eng, at 04 June, 2007 20:48  

  • it proof the earth is round...haha!

    By Blogger YSLim, at 05 June, 2007 13:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home