In Chun Eng's words...

Monday, December 25, 2006

Singapore, Part 3: Vici - Hand Pattern

Ok... so I was the 8th person in. Before I stepped into the carpet, the highest score so far was 9.26 while the rest ranges from 9.18 to 9.23 (if I remembered correctly). Majority of my competitors were Europeans and Americans (North and South)... and only a handful of Asians. So after I completed my routine, I scored 9.33 (with an additional 0.02 points awarded by the Chief Judge, but for what reason I don't know). Hehehe... that immediately sky rocketed me into first place.

So again, I had to wait for all the competitors to complete their own routines before we could know the final result. Many after me got below 9.25. Up till that moment, I was still winning. The 2nd highest after me got 9.32 and it was the small boy I mentioned from my previous post. He had actually gotten only 9.22 but was awarded an additional 0.1 points. Never had I seen someone being awarded such a high additional score. Usually it was 0.05 at most and was also the highest I've ever gotten in the past. That boy gave me a 'sweaty' moment when I saw his score. All my teammates around me were like going... whoa...!!!!! so close!!!! so lucky!!!!... etc

Then, the 13th and last person took the carpet... a Singaporean who wasn't really playing a traditional routine. From what I saw, he just modified the modern routines to make it look traditional. To me, it was kind of unfair. I've seen too many modern routine players competing in the traditional events. His score... 9.34. He got his fellow teammates cheering... and gave me a heartbreak at the same time. I just hate it when you were actually winning up till the very last person only to know you've lost. And the final result... I lost the gold medal by 0.01.

By then, it was lunch time. After lunch the late night bus trip drained me of energy. I was so tired and sleepy. I slept on a chair and almost fell up. Then, I played safe. I slept on the floor and laid my head on the chair instead. Wouldn't want to embarrassed myself for falling off a chair, would I?

While waiting for my 2nd event, the organisers called my name for the medal ceremony. I was sleeping and did not hear my being name called until Tiffany woke me up. So don't complain when I looked sleepy when I post the photos (",). And, another surprise of the day for me. The boy, despite losing to me, got silver as well. Maybe the organisers thought he deserved it since he's competing in an adult's event. Another person took the bronze instead. So that boy and I was award silver.

Next up... my daggers.

3 Comments:

  • yeah, sucks when your standing is being swifted to another person but congratulations woh!

    By Blogger MJ, at 25 December, 2006 15:08  

  • wow eng..u must be quite good at this.competing with ppl from all around the world n still getting the highest score..congrats man!

    well done...

    man..when will i ever be able to see u in action..when ..when...when?

    By Blogger ashes, at 26 December, 2006 10:02  

  • aawww.. thx mj... kinda surprised to see you here...

    and Ash, sorry dude... I guess you may never see me in action anytime soon... since I'm back into training hibernation... hahaha

    and hey... I'm only good enough for the amatuer levels... that's why you dun see me in competing in SEA Games, Asian Games etc.

    By Blogger Eng, at 26 December, 2006 10:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home