In Chun Eng's words...

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Killing something

Was at the market in Petaling Street this morning with my aunt who wanted to buy some fish.

She said the fishes here are fresher here because they're killed upon purchase. And so there I was, watching those poor, harmless, defendless fishes being killed right in front of my very eyes.

A few years ago I watched a clip of a mans beheading by some Islamic terrorist. The man, if I remembered correctly, was a journalist on duty somewhere in the Middle East. Watching that clip made me surreal.

I felt a little sick watching someone, lifting a person's bodiless head into the air, shouting of joy.

But this morning, I watched the fishmonger knocking the head of the fish, butchered though it was still breathing. You could see the fins still moving as its internal organs were being removed. I watched as if it was a TV show.

And that got me thinking... how come I did not feel anything.

Was it because we're so used to eating all other animals like fishes, chickens, pigs etc and that killing it means nothing anymore?

Or was it because watching someone killing its own kind is inhuman but killing another species is ok due to the need for survival. I mean, these animals are, after all, food to us... our source of fulfilling ourselves from hunger, a mean to continue on living.

And that us humans eating animals are acceptable, but when animals eat humans, these animals are to be 'destroyed'. Are we humans actually that great?

Fortunely, cannibalism is something unacceptable, and is infact, a crime. Otherwise, when us humans are being eaten by another human, it'll be a greater war, worst than the on-going Gaza war in the Palestine.

Just my thoughts!!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home